This week is a continuation of episode 4. You can find episode 004 here. Genia continues her discussion with Janet Klees, Author and Executive Director of the Durham Association for Family Resources and support in Ontario, Canada. She shares best practices around a child’s independence and how we, as a parent, can best nurture their sense of freedom.
Our Guest Janet Klees is an author and Executive Director of the Durham Association for Family Resources and Support in Ontario. She is a champion of disabled children and their families, and she strives on a daily basis to support families in their journey.
- Why it is crucial to understand your child’s interests regardless of age or disability.
- How to experiment and feel comfortable with giving your disabled child independence.
- Why it is critical to start building your child’s independence from a young age.
- How walking your neighborhood with your child welcomes connection and conversation.
- Be clear about your intentions around your child’s participation in his or her activities. Clarity is critical, with yourself and others.