Many people who cannot rely on words to speak struggle to be understood. Loved ones and support people often do their best to apply what they know of the person’s preferences to the planning process, but may fall short because they lack a direct way to ask the person what they think.
Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) methods can provide access to communication and serve as a tool to directly understand the thoughts, preferences and choices of people with significant disabilities and communication barriers.
AAC technology can support us to understand a non-speaking person even before the person can use the technology themselves.
In this audio version of a live presentation, Erin Sheldon, M.Ed., provides an overview of AAC as a tool for self-determination and supported decision making.
Erin presents practical tools that can be used by family, friends and professionals starting today.
Thanks for Listening!
Resources & Links Mentioned:
- Download the presentation slides and hand-outs here.
- Articles about AAC and decision making mentioned by Erin.
To get an email about new podcasts so that you never miss an episode sign up here.
To share your thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Ask me a question by email.
- Share this show on Facebook.
- Talk about this show in your Instagram Stories.
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes.
Special thanks to Erin Sheldon for joining me this week. Until next time!