On this episode of Good Things in Life, Genia interviews Darcy Elks an educator, consultant, evaluator of services and an advocate for people with disabilities about vision and why it matters so much.
Download your guide to creating a vision.
A transcript of this episode can be found here.
- Darcy first started thinking about vision after the birth of her first daughter who has a disability. People started communicating really low expectations for her daughter. She became intentional about developing a vision for their daughter.
What is a vision?
- A vision is a process of thinking clearly about what it is you want for your life.
Vision is like…
- Vision is like the North Star , it gives us the destination and helps us gauge our direction.
- Vision can be like a telescope that helps you see far away.
- Vision is a compass for the journey keeping you on track.
- Vision is an anchor in turbulent times.
What would be the most important message you’d want parents to consider?
- Don’t define your family member by the disability they live with. Think about the whole person.
Visioneering book by Andy Stanley
Contact Darcy Elks
Started young with a sister with a disability, amazing mentors and a strong mother with a vision. Now a mother to two sons, one of whom has a disability, a midwife to many, and an activist with a mission to band together with families to joyfully pursue the good things in life. Genia’s a registered midwife, International Board Certified Lactation Consultant, MSc in Evidence-Based Health Care (student), Speaker, Presenter, Podcast host, and founder of Good Things in Life which offers resources, courses and networking opportunities for a community of parents with a shared vision of the good things in life for their children with disabilities.